Wednesday, February 8, 2023

SOTU

I stayed up and watched the President Biden’s State of the Union address last night. As a general rule, I hate listening to politicians speak; however, I have always found Biden to be more pleasant to listen to than most. He has a few phrases that drive me a little crazy because he uses them too much and it makes him sound folksy, although that is also part of his appeal. He seems like a real person unlike a lot of politicians. I thought this was on of the most masterful SOTU addresses I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t the usual self-serving drivel. Instead, he baited the Republicans and did two things. First, he got them to look like absolute fools, even though McCarthy had warned them not to heckle Biden. They did anyway and for some of the stupidest reasons. Second, Biden laid a trap to get them to agree with some of his policies and and stand and applaud him. It was an interesting tactic, and Biden was so forceful at time. He wasn’t “angry racist white man” like Trump always came across looking like, but he came across as a genuine defender of the people and democracy. Trump always pandered only to his base and shipped them up into a frenzy like the fascist he is. Biden didn’t say everything just like all those in his party wanted. Instead, he spoke to the people, and I personally thought he did a great job.

If you watched it, what did you think?

6 comments:

Susan said...

Huge Biden fan here. Considering the length, one of the most, if not THE most, energetic speeches I've ever seen from him. A master class from a masterful politician.

VRCooper said...

Some forget that Uncle Joe has been doing the political thing for a while.

The Republicans, maybe even some Democrats, poke fun at him because he is old, slow on the uptake, and should be in an old folks' home.

Uncle Joe said, "Hold my beer!" He knocked it out of the park.

Next up for you is commenting on folks who say "Right" as an exclamation point. It is the new "umm." They expound, expound, and then when they are finished expressing a point/thought they say RIGHT. Listening to commentators/pundits overuse this word just drives me crazy.

Just stop it!!

BosGuy said...

I'm not Biden's biggest fan and hope he won't run for re-election, but I do respect him and think he is the right leader for the country following his predecessor who I'll refer to as "The Orange Clown".

I think Biden did an excellent job outlining is accomplishments, identifying areas he could work across the aisle, and his stressing his priorities moving forward. I was surprised by the ongoing heckling (although in hindsight I'm not sure why). While some of the most extreme representatives may have felt this increased their credibility and may score them time on FOX News, the overall impression was a party out of control. By contrast, Biden seemed quite in control - esp when he baited Republicans into agreeing that Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security were "off the table" for budget negotiations with the debt ceiling. I'd give Biden an 8 out of 10 rating and think that the clips from last night's SOTU will play in his favor through this weekend.

JiEL said...

I saw his speech yesterday even if I'm a Canadian and I was eager to see how it would be going on for Biden.

He was very good and even was like an intelligent fox trigering those all right maga idiots and letting them insulting him and he did well in how he managed it. What was a real «joke» is to see McCarthy trying to shew shew those idiots.
Biden did even make some GOP people to some standing applauds which is in this extrem partisan assembly quite a feat.

Not sure that this speech will change the GOP's agenda but I hope that some sensible Americans will be aware to what will the GOP will do or not do to make most Americans have a better way to live in your country.

For sure, hate, racism, sexism, police brutality, weapons all around, healthcare etc... So many issues to take care of but with GOP in «power» not sure anything good will come out in next two years.

One of the funniest thing happende is Romney saying to Santos that he should be in the back of the room and even «shut up»... LOL!!

naturgesetz said...

I'm not a Democrat, and I disagree with Biden on federalizing abortion; but I thought he did very well.

Capricornus said...

I have no trust in politicians. They all work for their own re-election.