Monday, June 20, 2022

Dinner Date

Saturday night, I had a date. I’d been chatting with this guy that I met on one of the dating apps, and we’d been chatting for about a week or two. He finally asked me out for dinner Saturday night. I agreed and we went to dinner at one of my favorite Italian restaurants. Normally, I order the Linguine Al Pescatore (scallops, mussels, and shrimp in a white wine tomato sauce), but it’s rarely a good idea to order something with linguine, spaghetti, or any other long noodle when you’re trying to look graceful while eating. So, I opted for a new item on the menu that I’d never tried before, Salmone Cucina (wood roasted salmon with artichokes, red peppers, lemon, and capers in a white wine sauce served with risotto). I love risotto and it can be eaten quite gracefully. I mention the food because it was the highlight of the date. Nothing else is really worth discussing. It turned out that we have little in common, and we just didn’t seem to go together very well at all. In fact, I was glad when it’s over. I don’t think he felt the same way, since he texted most of yesterday. I’m going to have to tell him though that I don’t really want to see him again. I just don’t think we are compatible. While sometimes opposites attract, this is one where there seemed to be no common ground except we both like cats and dislike dogs, and we are single gay men. That is not enough to build a relationship on; I’m not even sure it’s would be worth pursuing a friendship.

Why can’t I just find a nice, normal gay (or bi, I have no problem with a guy being bi) who I get along with and conversations flow easily? Snow White sang “Someday My Prince Will Come,” but while her prince did come, it was a fairy tale. My life has never been a fairy tale.

6 comments:

BosGuy said...

Bummer about the date but good for you to put yourself out there. And on a positive note, you now have another plate you know you really enjoy at that restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Just keep going you never know who is round the corner. Good Luck

Rick Bihner said...

I believe you are being a bit unfair making judgement on a first date. If he is interested, give it another try. You must realize, that first dates can be a bit intimidated and he, and, yes, even maybe you, could have been a bit nervous. Hell, give it a got for just a cup of coffee in the afternoon. In the future, I would suggest first dates less formal than dinner. Try hooking up for coffee for a more relaxed meeting.

kent said...

First date are that... a first... True relationships build over time not lust. First impressions mean very little.

David said...

Yes I definitely agree - give it a second or even a third go before making a final decision re dating. I presume the guy in the photo was not the person you dated. The guy in the picture is gorgeous and hot. At first I assumed that he was the guy you dated and wondered why on earth you couldn't possibly hit it off with someone so utterly beautiful. But reason suggested that you probably wouldn't have posted the "real" picture. But a man can dream can't he? Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I share the opinion of many of those who have left a comment: give this guy a chance! Maybe you will discover something in him that attracts you.
Also, do all dates have to be to form a deep and lasting relationship?
I've made friends with people I've met on a date after hours of chatting on some website. We weren't what we were looking for but we did share a sense of humor or a taste for movies or a taste for coffee.... I have not found love, I have not been that lucky, but I have met good fun people with whom I share other things and that can always be good friends who help you in difficult moments or simply count on you for activities and a thousand other things and, who knows, maybe through that guy you can get to know another guy with whom you connect one hundred percent... Don't close your door so quickly Joe!

Angel