Friday, June 17, 2022

My Alarm Clock

I love Isabella. She’s my little sweetheart (most of the time), but we’ve been on the outs since yesterday morning. She began at 3 am trying to woke me up, and it wasn’t her usual touching me either. She was full on meowing. I needed my sleep, so I shut her out of my bedroom.
Then she began trying to get in from under the door, but that was impossible. Nevertheless, she was making such a ruckus that I got up and opened the door. This was around 4 am. She began to meow again, over and over, insisting that I feed her. So, I did the one thing that I know will hold her off for a while; I grabbed her and wrapped her in my arms for a hug. Isabella hates to be held, so she wriggle away from me and sulked off. She then let me sleep for another 45 minutes before she tried again. At this point, I just got up and fed her. I wasn’t going to get anymore sleep anyway.
So, from the time I got home yesterday until I went to bed, I refused to let her fall asleep. I’m hoping that by not sleeping all evening that she’ll sleep through the night, or at least longer than the night before. Cats are wonderful creatures, but they have a mind of their own. Some people don’t like cats because they think they are aloof and independent. The truth is that cats domesticated in just that way. Anthropologists believe that cats actually sort of domesticated humans. 
When humans began to move away from a hunter-gatherer society to an agricultural society, they settled in villages, towns, and eventually cities. They began to store the grain they were growing, which naturally attracted mice, which in turn attracted cats (the true story behind “This Is the House That Jack Built”). As cats were around more, people began to feed them, and they began to stay so that they trained the humans to feed them regularly. Cats still hunted the mice, but they realized that humans were a steady source of food. Unlike dogs who were domesticated by humans as hunters and companions, cats domesticated themselves and tricked humans into thinking that they were their companions, which is why they have retained their independent streak for millennia.

So, here are some of my favorite cat memes. Some of them are just humorous,  it others have a bit of truth to them.


And here is my own personal alarm clock, Isabella, looking down on me from the top of my kitchen cabinets while I cook dinner.

8 comments:

uvdp said...

But why don't you lock Isabella away from you with a kibble dispenser?

Joe said...

uvdp, she has a dry food dispenser that always has food in it. She wants her wet food in the mornings. I tried an automatic feeder for her wet food, but she won't eat it unless I give it to her. That may have to change. The only way that I could lock her away is if I put her in her carrier over night, and I refuse to do that. If I locked her in the spare bedroom, her cries would disturb the neighbors, and shed' damage the door trying to get out. Keeping her up all evening seemed to help, as she let me sleep until 5 am this morning.

Anonymous said...

But she is looking lovely, cats always get what they want.

John said...

As the saying goes, dogs have masters, cats have staff.

uvdp said...

Sleeping well is vital.
Two solutions:
1/ buy earplugs and close your door
2/ in nature cats hunt then eat their prey then sleep .You can try to reproduce these 3 phases: physical activity, meal then sleep :
- psabella
- feed him just before your bedtime
See : https://assurance.carrefour.fr/assurance-sante-chien-chat/assurance-chat/dressage-chat/endormir-chat

uvdp said...

psabella = Play Isabella

VRCooper said...

Never been a cat person BUT I have watched cats for friends that are adorable. They are just too quiet for me. I fell in love with a big black lab in my condo building who got on the elevator with me and its owner. The dog was well behaved and set down once in the elevator. I stroked his head and just gave him some love. The dog got up and sat next to me pushing against my leg. What was so funny is the dog kept looking at their owner. I gathered by the exchange between the two that the dog was an attention whore. Just like some gay men.

Talking about Uber drivers. I was using Lyft the other day and my driver was hot as hell. He had long eyelashes and hairy legs. I did everything within my power not to climb into the front seat and sit on his lap. His driving was much to be desired. I thought I was in LA. I made it home in one piece.

Have a great weekend.

joseph said...

"Marraaw "! and a female cat comes on my knees