Thursday, July 21, 2022

Death Warmed Over

“Death warmed over” is a phrase my mother used to use. It basically means you feel like crap. I had been advised to get a second booster for the COVID vaccine, so, I made an appointment and on Tuesday, I went to the local CVS and got my shot. The shot itself was a bit deceiving as I never even felt it. I only knew she’d given it to me because she put a bandaid on my arm. By the time. Got to my car, my arm was hurting, but that was all the side effects I had for the rest of the evening. Then, I woke up yesterday morning. I had read that reactions to the second booster would likely be similar to the first booster. Back when I had the first one in October, I had a fever, chills, body aches, and a severe headache. It was made worse by the fact that it can get cold in October in Vermont, and my former landlords had not yet turned on the heat. I felt like I was going to freeze to death. This time, I went through the fever, chills, body aches, and a severe headache during one of the hottest day I have seen in Vermont since I moved up here nearly seven years ago. Mostly, I had to keep the air conditioner and my fans off because I had chills with the fever.  I did have to turn on the air conditioner a few times because I felt like the inside of my body was freezing and the outside was just radiating heat. I basically just slept off an on all day. With the headache, I could barely concentrate enough to watch television. Usually these reactions only last for twenty-four hours, so I’m praying to God that I feel better when I wake up this morning.

7 comments:

Rob T said...

So sorry you're having to endure so much pain, esp. in the summer. Luckily I've had no reaction to any Covid booster- I still need to get the third one. I hope today you're much better.

uvdp said...

You are doing better ?

Joe said...

I'm feeling marginally better. I no longer have a fever, so the body aches are not so bad, but I still have a really bad headache. I am doing better than I was yesterday. Thanks for asking.

JimNS said...

It really Is a shame you have so much suffering with headaches. You would think they could find a cure. Glad you're feeling better today. My mother used the same phrase - death warmed over. Here's hoping you get a few days headache free.

JimNS said...

I need to get the second booster. Didn't know there was a third one.

naturgesetz said...

Hereabouts we used "death warmed over" to refer to how somebody else looked.

bulldawgs said...

That is a totally Southern Expression. Glad to hear that your side effects from the shot have mostly gone away. what you described was what I had after getting both of the regular shots but my side affects lasted more than a week.

Jon Fro UGA