Saturday, August 29, 2020

Moment of Zen: My Readers and Your Kindness


I know I wrote in the comments of Wednesday's post about my voice how much I appreciated all of your kind words, but I really can’t say it enough. The comments everyone left were so moving and brought tears to my eyes. To read all of your kind words means more to me that I can ever truly express. I appreciate each and every one of you who read this blog. When you comment or email, you show me that I am accomplishing something with this blog, and maybe a little more kindness will seep out into the world.

 

William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, once said, “I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.” I was looking up quotes about kindness, and I came across several more that I wanted to share:

 

“What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?” – Jean-Jacques Rousseau

 

“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana

 

“Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca

 

“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain

 

“I’ve been searching for ways to heal myself, and I’ve found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga

 

“Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” – Henry James

 

“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” —Mother Teresa

 

“My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.” —Maya Angelou

 

The next two are my favorites as they show how kindness can change the world:

 

“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu

 

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” —Margaret Mead

 

And finally, here is a quote that I hope we will all keep in mind. It’s by Ralph Waldo Emerson, my favorite transcendentalist philosopher:

 

“You cannot do kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Thank you for the kindness you show in sharing these pearls of wisdom.
Princess Diana, Mark Twain, and Emerson are my favorites.
You have no idea how sustaining these are in the year which seems never to get better.
Alexander

Butch 57 said...

Very good. Kindness is the basis for you’re own happiness

JiEL said...

Kindness will always lead to kindness, hate will only lead to more hate.

I was a fine art teacher for 37 years, and each time I have the chance to meet one of my ex students, they all say to me how they appreciate my lessons but more, my way to be attentive to them, their issues and how a kind carring teacher I was.

In 2007, as I was walking on a shoping center mall, there was that young man, the kind of bearded hippy looking guy, that was coming toward me. At first I was suspicious and a bit scared. I'm the kind of man to attract weirdos.

Then he called my name. He was one of my ex student. God I didn't recognized him now.
He wanted to talk to me for so many years because he was a student that had insulted me sometimes in class and now, he was regretting all of his past behavior.
He did apologize so kindly saying how he was such a jerk and that I was the nicest teacher he had.

No matter how long time passes, your kindness will come back to you like a boomerang.

Same is happening with hate.

As we say in French: spit up in the air and it'll come back on your nose sometime.

Anonymous said...

Joe, we do not need to be thanked for our comments. We wrote what was true. To inject a note of levity about voices and actions, the following is something in which neither you nor I would fit, either physically or in voice!, Roderick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw

Joe said...

Roderick, the Haka is pretty interesting to watch. I looked them up. The New Zealand national rugby union team, which was featured in the video are commonly known as the All Blacks, but what I also found out was that the New Zealand men's national basketball team is called the Tall Blacks, which I find a very interesting play on words. I just thought I'd share that little bit of info. I also found it interesting that in the 21st century, kapa haka is offered as a subject in universities, including the study of haka, and is practiced in schools and military institutions. It's quite fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

Yup, but if you want to see a really amusing Haka face off, look at the 2017 NZ v. Tonga - which has much the same indigenous culture as the Maori - rugby game, Roderick PS. Somehow I don't think you are into big beefy men!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwpw24azTU