Monday, March 18, 2024

Aggravated

I enjoy my work from home days. It means I can actually make myself something for lunch and do some housework, like laundry, while also monitoring emails and getting some other work done. Not to mention, it’s one less day I have to drive into work and that saves a little gas money. Normally, I work from home on Fridays, but this week, I was supposed to work from home today. I have work responsibilities Tuesday through Friday that require me to be in person. 

However, it’s not going to work this week. I had a coworker who took a trip and was supposed to come back yesterday and be in person at work today so I could have a work from home day this week. When I rescheduled my work from home day to Monday, I had said that I doubted I’d get to take it because with this coworker, there seems to always be an excuse for why they can’t work on a day after returning from a trip, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt this time. By the way, this coworker had a commitment that they were supposed to be in person for, which I why I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe it’s not just an excuse this time. Maybe my coworker’s plane really was delayed and the airline couldn’t rebook a flight until today. Maybe those things are true, but I looked to see what flights were delayed, and the only ones that were would not have been flights my coworker would have been taking. Maybe I’m mistaken, but this delayed flight fits in with this coworker’s pattern of behavior. Regardless, I’m aggravated that I have to be the one to lose my work from home day this week, and I’m sure my coworker will still take their work from home day this week because they never, no matter the reason, miss their work from home day. I’m hoping to have two work from home days next week, at least that’s what my boss has promised me. We’ll see. 🤞

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boss needs to have a sit down with your co-worker, what you have put up with should not be tolerated by any employee or employer. That co-worker is very inconsiderate and taking full avantage of you, and they might become emboldened to pull-off some other crap and get away with it. Your boss is responsible for this situation, because he/she is letting your co-worker get away with it. Your co-worker needs consequences, not you. Make a complaint to HR.

Joe said...

We will have a new director in a few months, and I am hoping our new director is strong enough to deal with these types of issues. The new director is already aware of some of the personnel problems here.

VRCooper said...

Joe---Donn't get me started---As a manager, I would never tolerate this type of BEHAVIOUR---It is evident it is a pattern and it must be dealt with immediately ---I would never let this go on BECAUSE believe it or not other staff is watching and taking ques what they can and can not get away with---This continuing will have an effect on other team members---Trust me, they know what is going on---The team sees the pattern just as you do---They view your director as weak and not taking care of them---Your director will be contributing to low staff morale and other personnel issues---As a manager, you deal with BEHAVIOURS, what they DO. And take it from there. I see progressive discipline and little documentation for this employee.

Anonymous said...

Las Universidades están llenas de gente así: incompetentes, caraduras, sinvergüenzas y más y peores cosas que no son fáciles de sobrellevar como empleado. Si protestas te miran mal, si no protestas abusan de ti... Al final solo queda el desánimo y el cumplir con lo mínimo.
No importa de qué país hablemos, es la institución la que está podrida. Habría que empezar de cero para poder solucionar estos problemas.

Ángel