Monday, March 4, 2024

That Tasted Nothing Like Pineapple


Warning: This post will be more graphic and talk about sex much more than I usually do.

The picture above is often a meme saying, “That Tasted Nothing Like Pineapple.” I’ve been reading a lot of gay romance books lately, and there are a few things that always make me roll my eyes when I read them. 

 

The first one is when characters have a hands-free orgasm while having anal sex. Many of us know that being the bottom during sex can be a truly wonderful experience, but for me, it’s never been so outstanding that it caused me to have an orgasm with out any stimulation to my dick. Just saying. While I know it’s possible, it certainly doesn’t happen in the frequency it does during m/m romances. I know it’s a plot device to show that the sex is earth shatteringly good, but my goodness, these authors need to lay off on the hands-free orgasm. If a man did it as many times as some of the characters in these books, it’s more likely that they suffer from premature ejaculation instead of mind-blowing sex.

 

The other thing is that precum and cum is always referred to as tasting bitter. In real life people often describe semen as tasting salty, sweet, bitter, metal, sharp, or sour.  The bitterness or saltiness because it has a more alkaline pH. The sweetness can be attributed to greater sugar content, especially glucose and fructose which give sperm their energy to move. One study suggested that people with diabetes may secrete more sugar into their semen giving it a sweeter taste. A metallic taste is because of the minerals and vitamins it contains.

 

In my personal experience, and maybe yours have been different, I’ve never experienced a man’s semen to taste bitter. These m/m romance authors mostly say that cum is bitter but also often say that it is salty, and that I can agree with. For me, I’ve usually thought that cum had a gamey or sweet taste, or maybe salty sweet. Precum has always tasted sweet to me. I’ve never considered it to be bitter. The truth is that the taste of semen varies from person to person.

 

Although many people insist that certain foods change the taste of their semen, there is no conclusive research to confirm this link. Anecdotally, some people believe that fruits, such as citrus fruits and pineapple, may improve the flavor of semen. Foods that produce a strong odor, such as broccoli and cauliflower, may make semen taste or smell worse. Likewise, foods that tend to change the appearance or smell of other bodily fluids, such as asparagus, may also change the taste of semen. One thing that does alter the taste of a man’s semen is hygiene. It is well established that taste and smell are linked, and in consequence, funky body odor can lead to it tasting funky.




With all that being said, out of my own curiosity, I pose the following questions: Does cum have a bitter taste like so many authors claim? I don’t understand why they always describe it as bitter. Why not say cum has a salty sweet flavor? Authors could describe the taste of cum in differing ways, yet they almost universally say it’s bitter.

17 comments:

Joe R said...

I love the taste of semen, in all its varying flavors. And I agree, it's usually salty sweet.

Jeff said...

Never bitter - would describe as “earthy”.

uvdp said...

I won't comment on the taste of the semen.
But since Joe mentioned asparagus, couldn't a large white asparagus replace a prostate stimulator?🤣

Anonymous said...

...le sperme a en goût salé-sucré et musqué.
J'aime avaler le sperme d'un homme parce que cela lui plaît davantage.
Pour en plaisir intense laissez le bout de phallus toucher votre épiglotte pendant qu'il éjacule.
-Beau Mec à Deauville

VRCooper said...

The picture is of Nick Sandell---

That's all I have for now.

Anonymous said...

En mi experiencia el sabor siempre ha sido salado y no me gusta, me resulta un poco asqueroso y a veces me causa nauseas y arcadas. Yo soy así, lo siento.


Ángel

RB said...

Salty I would say. What are these romance books you're reading?

Joe said...

RB, the latest ones I read were by AJ Truman. I’ll write more about that on Thursday. I’ve read books by Lily Morton, RJ Scott, May Archer, JE Birk, Josh Lanyon, Sarina Bowen, KJ Charles, Alexis Hall, and several others. Most m/m romance is written by women, but there are a few men such as the aforementioned AJ Truman, but also Kit Oliver, Brian Lancaster, etc.

David said...

Since most M/M romance novels are written by straight women, I have always thought that their descriptions of gay sexual encounters were inaccurate. But then, I read somewhere, most of their readers are straight women (especially younger women) who somehow find that reading about gay sex is fascinating, but of course they have no real world examples to compare it with. Sadly, very few of the M/M romance novels that I have read resonate with my own gay experience.

uvdp said...


I'm scared of those who absorb semen. Have you heard of HIV ? SIDA and VIH in french .

Joe said...

David, I tend to enjoy m/m romance without a lot of sex in them. I’ve read numerous female writers who do a pretty good job of describing gay sex, but I also think that the gay men who write m/m romance write more authentic sex scenes. However, I also don’t believe that you have to have experienced something firsthand to be able to write about it. I’ve read many novels in my time when the authors have not experienced what they write about, but still do a good job of describing it. Most writers do a lot of research, and considering that a lot of gay men love to talk about their sex lives, it’s not difficult to research.

Joe said...

Oral sex is less likely to cause transmission of HIV unless there are open sores that the semen comes into contact with, uvdp. PrEP medications have also does a great job of preventing transmission of HIV. I would be more worried about the transmission of other STIs through oral sex, most can infect the throat ans cause a pretty nasty infection.

Steven said...

Joe, you might also enjoy Darryl Banner's M/M books. His stories are based in Texas where he is from and as a gay man, his sex scenes are off the charts amazing as well. Many of his tend to be more coming-of-age stories but he does have a younger/older book, and my favorite is "When I See You Again" which chronicles two men from childhood to retirement in 5-year increments.

I love reading your posts! It is a highlight of my week!

Joe said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Steven. I’m glad you enjoy my musings. Thank you.

Adam said...

Joe, I've read many of the same authors you mentioned and enjoyed most of them. Just finished one by Rachel Reid and find her writing to be excellent. Less sex, more exploration. She touches an authentic emotional core, I think. The book was "Time to Shine", but her other titles are just as good.

I'm just beginning the intense "Priest" series by Sierra Simone. Great start; excellent writing.

Anonymous said...

I find semen to be on the salty- sweet spectrum generally. I did have one experience that was extremely bitter. It was a hookup, and I noticed that the guy was a heavy smoker. When we got to an oral climax, his taste was awful. Bitter is the only word that fits. I attributed that to the smoking, but I don't know for sure.

Joe said...

Adam, thank you for the suggestions. I’m going to check them out.