Friday, March 22, 2024

Ugh! Friday

Usually, I look forward to Fridays. My regular work schedule has me working from home on Fridays, but not today. A mandatory meeting was scheduled for today to take care of an issue that should have been taken care of over a year ago, but my superiors have fiddle farted around and done nothing. If they were actually strong enough to be in the positions they are in, this would have been nipped in the bud the first time it happened, but that time, they fucked things up so bad, the problem just continued in a slightly different form. 

So, instead of addressing the problem head on by saying to the problem individual, “You can either be a professional at work, or maybe this is not the right place for you,” they are calling everyone together to discuss how we can “reduce workplace tension and stress.” I shouldn’t be so pissed off by the agenda, because none of it pertains to me. I already do everything that is on the agenda. 

The only “solution” that is being imposed is one that will cause more “tension and stress” not reduce it. Part of the reason this will cause more stress is we are currently understaffed because of another idiotic decision. We just don’t have the staff to make this solution work. The real solutions that need to be made should have been enforced since it was first identified as an issue. However, my supervisors can’t even regularly follow this rule (I’m the only one who does), which is simply to be at work on time and work the 8-hour day we are supposed to work. My supervisors have been so lax about this issue that everyone but me push the limits because they’ve been able to come in late and leave early, with the additional problem of not letting anyone know they will be late or leaving early. 

There are only one definitive solutions that will fix the issues: fucking communicate. With texting and email, it’s very simple to communicate, even if you’re too passive aggressive to communicate face-to-face. I think there is only one solution to take care of the “tension and stress” at my workplace is to get rid of the person who is the root cause of the problem, which is not currently a workable solution because it would leave me as the only full time employee at the museum. 

Quite frankly, I’m tired of being the only person trying to keep the peace because my supervisors can’t do their jobs effectively.

But hopefully, by mid morning today, this meeting will be over and I will be busy with other duties until my weekend will officially begin. Then, I can enjoy a cozy weekend at home with Isabella. With 14+ inches of snow expected tomorrow, I won’t be leaving my apartment this weekend.

Thanks for reading my rant. 

Have a great weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

VRCooper said...

I could get catty and say read my previous response to your situation.

But really.

Folks in leadership positions should learn that they set the tone in the workplace. When it starts to affect morale and cohesion then we are in a bigger pickle. And kicking the can down the road is not an option.

I led an organization with one line employee who was hell on wheels in another department and worked with various departments. This employee thought they were the CEO. Leadership in various departments had to have a group meeting WITH this employee to see if we could all get along. Why? I was there, my boss was there, and the like. I was ready to lay down the hammer. My boss, knowing how I roll, hit me under the table and gave me that look. Which meant don't say anything. My boss was the type of leader who wanted to be liked by EVERYBODY and had to be pushed to function as a leader in those difficult times. If I remember correctly,the employee moved on because they were now under the spotlight.

Harmony in the workplace, especially in a small group is vital. I am not saying everyone has to like each other and go to happy hour but everyone should be professional. It's about the work and getting it done.

Once again, leadership has to set the tone.

Book suggestion---Crucial Conversations-Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillian, Al Witzler

uvdp said...

In fact, it's not good to let things slide. They may amplify and/or cause other malfunctions.

Which branches will you use on Sunday? In France it depends on the region: olive tree and laurel in the south , boxwood in the north , rarely palm leaves.

Joe said...

VRCooper, I did read your previous comment, and I put it to use as much as I could. During the meeting, my supervisors did not actually address any of the problems, especially when one of the issues came up. They once again let it slide. Regardless about what they said about us being able to speak our minds without causing further issues, I did not feel it was my place to say anything nor did I want to make things worse. Instead, I cornered my boss in his office and said, "You have to do something about this. I have brought it up numerous times, but nothing is being enforced. It is not right (I purposely did not say "fair") for others to be held to a lower standard than I am. Once again, I was promised that it would be taken care of, but I have no faith in that happening.

uvdp, my supervisors have let the issues slide or allowed for a deflection of responsibility since this employee for this person since they started. They have allowed things to fester because they refused to be the leaders they are supposed to be and took care of the problems.

As for the branches, most churches I know of use palm fronds. The church I grew up in never did anything special for Palm Sunday except mention that it was Palm Sunday.

VRCooper said...


A suggestion to protect yourself.

When you "corner" your boss or any other time you have conversations about workplace issues and other critical situations, please, please send a follow-up email.

Say something like: Thank you for hearing me out today. We spoke about XYZ. You stated that you would do XYZ. Keep it brief and to the point. This will come in handy when the department is in chaos and they pull you up on the red carpet for not telling them. You have your paper trail ready to go.

Always remember that HR is there for the organization, not you. When push comes to shove, you will be the first one under the bus. Also, don't tell HR about your business. It may come back to haunt you.

Joe said...

Thanks for the advice. Our HR is disgustingly incompetent and useless. They constantly fuck us over with our benefits. I have no faith in them being able to do anything.

VRCooper said...

PS---I forgot have a great weekend...I see you guys are having a winter storm warning in effect...Stay warm---You and Isabella can watch movies---

Joe said...

Thanks. Where I live, we are expecting 15-18 inches of snow. I’m going to stay I with Isabella and enjoy a good movie or a good book.

naturgesetz said...

Good choice of words: "not right" vs "not fair." The latter would have been whining. Years ago, a colleague was retired military. It was common practice in the military to keep a "little black book," mainly for self-protection. The person would record everything that superiors did contrary to regulation or orders so they would be able to set the record straight if they were ever balmed. There might also have been an element of being able to say to a superior, "you wouldn't want the higher ups to know about this, that, or the other," as a way of getting them to do what was needed.
At any rate, it's a good idea to have a contemporary record of what you're doing and what's wrong in how you're being treated, as well as what employee X is getting away with.
It's too bad your boss doesn't care the employee X isn't doing her job, which negatively impacts the museum (hmm, does he cut corners too?) and that HR doesn't care that she's stealing wages which they're paying for hours not worked.
Well, have a good weekend at home.