Friday, May 19, 2023

Not in the Mood

I’m not in the mood to say much today. Thankfully, I am working from home. Yesterday was rough. Work was awful; I had a migraine; and I received some heartbreaking news. I’d like to just be in the fetal position all day, but I actually do have to work when I’m home, not to mention I have some work that needs to be done today. 

Work has become somewhat intolerable, which became all the more evident yesterday. I like my job but hate going to work for a variety of reasons that I can’t seem to fix. I’m actually looking at jobs elsewhere. I like where I live in Vermont, and I have grown to really like Vermont as a whole. But, it may be time to move on to bigger and better things. 

There are at least two that I think I’d be an excellent candidate for: one in Boston and another in New York State. I’d take the one in New York if the salary is good, but the salary was not listed in the job description, which is so aggravating . The one in Boston pays about twice what I’m currently making, and I’d take it in a heartbeat if offered. I think I’d really like living in Boston. The one in New York is not too far from New York City, so that would be nice too.

4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Ah Joe, I'm soorry to read that it's gotten so bad. Are the hostile coworkers likely to depart in the foreseeable futuer?
I've always been happy that you liked being in Vermont. I live in eastern Massachusetts, and I'm such a stick-in-the-mud that I'd need a very powerful reason to move. I like my native home town, and the proximity to Boston is nice. But my favorite scenery is wooded mountains like those of New Hampshire and Vermont. Megalopolis doesn't do it for me.
If you leave your present job, which until now had seemed such a good fit, I hope you get the Boston position. Perhaps we could meet.
One caution: would those other positions be more pressured or stressful, not from coworkers but from the nature of the operation?

naturgesetz said...

*sorry
*future
That's what I get for not proofreading.

Joe said...

Naturgesetz, I hope one of them is looking for another job. I don't think they are happy where they are, and hopefully won't stay long if she can find something else. Th either one, who's not so bad and sometimes does try to be nice, is not going anywhere. If I got the job in Boston, we definitely should meet. I think the job in Boston would be more pressure and probably more stressful, but it would mean a major step up in my career. I'd be the director of my own department at a very old and prestigious institution. The one outside of NYC is about a 70 miles from the city, but it would be doing what I really love doing now though at a larger museum and also at a university with a well regarded reputation for academic excellence. I do not think it would be more stressful, but it would mean doing more of the work I really enjoy doing. Both of those positions would mean giving up my academic rank of assistant professor, but I can live with that.

JimNS said...

Hi Joe, thanks for your response the other day. I've been following your posts for a while now. Not surehow long but long enough. I don't remember you ever being this down. That really sucks..it's really sad how people can really hurt others. I have a few people I. Mind that I need to work with but luckily they are leary of me as I am.well respected snd they know if push came to shove most ci workers would be solidly behind me. They sort of ignore me. I wish they'd ignore me completely. I don't need poison people around me. Just reading your story passes me off. As best you can ignore any thought of these people once you leave work. You might not be able to get rid of them at work but don't allow them into your home even mentally. Peace,
Jim
.