Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Snow

In the movie White Christmas, the main characters are on a train heading for Vermont, and they sing “Snow” by Irving Berlin:
Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow
It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
Snow
I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow
Snow
I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow
Where it's snowing
All winter through
That's where I want to be
Snowball throwing
That's what I'll do
How I'm longing to ski
Through the 
Snow
Those glist'ning houses that seem to be built of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a mountain covered with a quilt of snow
What is Christmas with no snow
No white Christmas with no snow
Snow
I'll soon be there with snow
I'll wash my hair with snow
And with a spade of snow
I'll build a man that's made of snow
I'd love to stay up with you but I recommend a little shuteye
Go to sleep
And dream
Of snow.

When they get to Vermont, there is no snow to be seen. If they arrived in Vermont today, they’d find plenty of snow. We got our first major snowfall last night. Where I live, we received 3-4” of snow. By the time I woke up, the snow had mainly stopped, and we were getting freezing rain. When the sun rises, that freezing rain is expected to turn into regular rain which is supposed to last for the rest of the morning.


I wish I could just stay in and enjoy the scenery, but I need to run to the grocery store. I hate grocery shopping the day before Thanksgiving, but I wasn’t able to do it yesterday. I was in the grocery store when I developed a terrible migraine, and I just went to check out with the few items I’d already picked up. My headache remained for tye rest of the day and night, and I woke up with it again this morning. However, I’m hoping that it will be better by the time they’ve plowed my parking lot, and I am able to go to the grocery store.


5 comments:

uvdp said...

I hope you don't mind the snow and ice.
Today, we also commemorate in France the death of President JF Kennedy . I saw Oswald's assassination live on television. All this got me deeply disturbed and I bought a 1/2 dollar coin with the image of the president as a souvenir.
Happy Thanksgiving; will you give us the menu?

Joe said...

It’s going to be a simple menu, uvdp. It will just be Isabella and myself, and she has no interest in what I cook. I’ll have roast turkey, cornbread dressing, gravy, and green beans or something else green.. I may have a dessert, but I haven’t decided yet.

uvdp said...

For dessert, I offer you chestnut ice cream

VRCooper said...

Happy Thanksgiving Joe!!

I have always loved the snow. I don't need Michigan, or North Dakota snow. Been there done that. But a nice blanket of snow of a few inches is perfect. Here in Denver, we are expecting about a 1/2 inch on Friday. No big deal. As soon as the temps rise above 32 the snow melts. Denver only gets a few major snow events per year. The snow that usually falls lasts a few days. And any longer folks here get bitchy. Hell, we are so hardcore we wear shorts and flip-flops all year round. I wear shorts in the winter to go to the gym. I only need my chest warm and I am set to go. I don't mind driving in snow BUT I worry most about the fools out there trying to hot dog in the snow.

I will bake a cornish game hen tomorrow and the fixings-vegetables, biscuits, and mashed potatoes. I can cook but many times I just don't bother since it is just me. I may do small things here and there. I will have a little pecan pie as well. I tried looking high and low for egg nog ice cream to no avail. I looked for egg nog as well but could not find the less than half the calories stuff. I did find a pint of less fat though. I did a little taste yesterday and it was ok. I like a rich, flavorful concoction.

Anyhow. Stay warm.

Victor
XO

jos said...

Pas de neige, de la pluie et du vent et un ciel si gris que , à vous mettre le moral au plus bas: heureusement il y a les moments d'évasion dont vous êtes le clef, merci pour cela