Monday, December 4, 2023

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Everywhere you go
Take a look at the five and ten, it's glistening once again
With candy canes and silver lanes that glow

…or so the song begins. I had a very easy going weekend. The main thing I did was bring my Christmas decorations up from the basement and set up my Christmas tree. Since I’m not going anywhere for Christmas, I decided to give my apartment a little cheer. Plus, I may have a friend come for lunch on Christmas, and she tends to really decorate, even her office is decorated. Mine is not a lot of decorations, and I probably won’t decorate too much. I hate having to take it all down, pack it back up, and store it away again, but I enjoy decorating for Christmas. 

Overnight, we also got about 6 inches or so of snow, so everything is covered in white. While I don’t particularly relish driving to work, it does look beautiful outside. I love watching snow fall. For me, it’s very calming and quiet. I prefer not to have to go out in the snow, but needs must. I have some things that I need to do at work today, so “over the river and through the woods” I will go as I head to work today.

7 comments:

uvdp said...

On November 4 for the feast of Saint Barbara, in Provence, we sow wheat in a saucer : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bl%C3%A9s_de_la_Sainte-Barbe

BosGuy said...

Have a good week and careful driving. I would assume it is quite pretty with the fresh snow and for a New Englander like me, it does make me feel like it is Christmas time but I'd prefer if the snow stays up by you since it is such a mess when it snows in Boston.

RB said...

I don't miss the snow. Be careful!

VRCooper said...

I caught it. "Since I’m not going anywhere for Christmas,.." So no family drama this year. Good for you! We pay attention to what you post. There might be a test later. So I completed all my required reading.

I went into the basement as well and brought up a few Christmas decorations. I love Christmas! The lights, the color. I love to see how folks decorate their homes inside and out. Yeah, it takes a little effort to pull things out and put them back but it is worth it. Also, I love Christmas goodies. I just ordered my seasonal fruitcake from a bakery in Texas-Collin Street Bakery. There is a small local bakery down the street that is going to be adding a new feature this year. They will be creating a seasonal sampler of holiday baked goods. I will be checking their website to see if it is a go.

Be careful in the snow. I always worry about other folks driving. I am pretty good in the snow. I know it is pretty. Especially in your neck of the woods.

Have a great week!

Joe said...

VRCooper, my mother had called me a couple of weeks ago and said they could not afford a plane ticket for me. I certainly could not afford it with the cheapest ticket at nearly $1000. Also, I do not want to go home. There is just too much drama to deal with. However, I thought no you jinxed me. Right after I read your comment, my mother called and said they’d reconsider, and if I wanted to come home for Christmas, they’d buy my plane ticket. I told a little fib and said, “I’d love to, but I’ve already made plans to have Christmas dinner with a friend of mine.” My friend is also from Alabama, and my mother knows that. Anyway, my friend and I have talked about her coming over for Christmas and me cooking, but we haven’t made definite plans. My mother doesn’t need to know that though. So much drama…

VRCooper said...

Joe--We may not know you personally BUT our wish is for you to be happy--Beat to your own drum---Do what brings you joy and fulfillment---I could go deeper with Mom calling and dangling a plane ticket---Make Christmas yours---Start your own Christmas traditions and how the family rolls into that is up to you---And yes, Mom does not need to know everything---Hope you are enjoying the snow---

jos said...

Glo o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o ria , in Excellsis Deo (bis)