Thursday, December 21, 2023

Winter Is Here


There’s not a lot to say this morning. 

Fingers Crossed 🤞 I have a working refrigerator when I get home from work today.

It’s my last day at work for 2023. Our holiday break starts next week. The holiday break is one of the best perks of working at a university. The museum (and campus) will be closed from December 22 to January 2. I won’t actually go back to work until January 5 because I’m taking some time off after the first of the year. All of my coworkers took time off this week, and since I wasn’t going anywhere for Christmas, I didn’t mind having the museum to myself for a few days.

Lastly, it’s the first day of winter. It feels like it, too, at least temperature wise. Right now, it’s 22 degrees. However, it doesn’t look like winter. With the rain and moderate temperatures earlier in the week, there’s very little snow on the ground. While it’s cold today (our high will only be 27 degrees), it’s going to be 42 degrees on Christmas Day. It feels like I’m in the movie White Christmas, which took place in Vermont where there was no snow. Unlike White Christmas, I don’t think we’ll get any snow at the last minute to make a picture perfect movie.

9 comments:

BosGuy said...

It sounds like Northern New England (and esp Maine) really took a tough hit from the storm earlier this week. I hope you have a relaxing week off next week and can enjoy time getting caught up on your rest, time with friends, and doing whatever you like - even if that is doing a lot of nothing.

Merry Merry

Joe said...

Happy Holidays, BosGuy. There were several areas around Vermont that really took a hit from the storm earlier this week. Thankfully, it was not as bad as in July. Between Christmas and New Year's Eve, I plan to do a whole lot of nothing.

uvdp said...

It almost does not thaw. I understand that you don't put your pantry outside

naturgesetz said...

Good luck with the fridge.
Enjoy the time off.

VRCooper said...

Joe, please have a great time off.

Why not check in and see the status of the fridge. I would be in the middle of making sure all ends meet.

Have a great time with your house guests. Have fun!! Be present!!

Have a Merry Christmas and nothing but the best in the new year. We have to get you married off. Those eggs are depressing by the day. Smile!!

JimNS said...

So glad you received the fridge. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with God's many blessings and all good things.Do keep us all posted during this week+ off. You really deserve a break after all that's been happening in your life lately. Who knows, maybe you'll meet a nice Santa Claus.
Jim

JiEL said...

This mild witner weather isn't new as on 1964 «green Christmas» we had here in Montreal a 60°F without any snow on the ground.

Seems that this year will be another green Christmas but not really «hot» temperatures.

For the rain, we had some quite big rain here but in Québec city and all along the St Laurent rived there were many flooded places.

Hope your fridge will not fail you.
I did have some same isue back in July 2022 as my 21yo fridge did no more fonctionning well.
I own my appliances so I had to replace it with a $1400 bill....

Wishing you a nice and Merry Christmas.

RB said...

Were you the only employee in the museum? No other workers or docents? If so that must be spooky to be there all by yourself.

Have a wonderful holiday and White Christmas!

Joe said...

RB, yes, I am the only one. We don't have docents, but we have work study students who work in the museum; however, they all went home for the holiday last week. My coworkers took some extra time before the holidays. So far, no one has come in the museum all day, mainly because it looks like the only people on campus is a skeleton crew of workers who have to be here. I've got just a little over an hour left before I can lock up and go home. I am so ready for my vacation to start.