Friday, December 8, 2023

Rough Night

I was still not feeling well last night, so I went to bed early. The problem was that my downstairs neighbor, who I rarely hear a peep from, was either loudly watching an action movie or playing an action packed video game. Have you ever been in a theater waiting for a movie to start and hear the loud noise of an action movie in the theater next to your, the loud explosion, crashes, deafening music, etc.? That’s pretty much what it was like. If I had a pair of earphones that would have worked with my new iPhone, I’d have put them in to drown out the noise. Alas, I did not, so I listened to an audiobook until I was about to fall asleep. (Reading a book wouldn’t have helped, since I had a migraine and it makes it very hard to concentrate on the words. They sometimes get a bit jumbled when I have a migraine.)

Finally, sometime around 11 pm, I dozed off. Thankfully, I’d set the audiobook to stop at the end of the chapter, so I could just back it up when I started it again. This morning, however, it was my upstairs neighbor that woke me up. Around 3:30 am, I could hear one of them walking around. The floors in my building creak, and while usually I could ignore it, I still had a headache, and I laid there for nearly an hour trying to go back to sleep. Eventually, Isabella caught on that I was awake, so to appease her, I got up and fed her and made myself a cup of tea. 

Although I’m supposed to be working from home today, I’m not going to even try to pretend to. I’ll text my boss and tell him I’m taking a sick day. Then, I’ll probably go back to bed and try to get some more sleep.

Sorry I’ve been only complaining for the last few days, but whatever this is (sinuses, migraines, malaise, etc.) has been pretty rough. 

5 comments:

RB said...

This is probably an older wooden structure apartment building? No solid concrete buildings in a 200 mile radius? I know this is really annoying. At least the neighbors don't have dogs barking. That would be really bad. Did you ever try white noise? Would that help?

Joe said...

RB, other than in Burlington, Vermont has very few apartment complexes. Burlington is on the other side of the mountain la, which is fine when there isn’t bad weather, but there are spots in the interstate that can be quite dangerous. The other option would be southeast of where I live in New Hampshire which has apartments due to its close proximity to Dartmouth. Most of the apartments in Vermont are old houses that are more than 100 years old that have been divided into apartments. My first apartment was built in the 1840; the second had been built as a doctor’s office with apartments on the second floor above the clinic for the doctor. Where I live used to be a dormitories for a college, but the buildings were gutted and converted into apartment complexes about 40 years ago. Thankfully, dogs are not allowed in my apartment complex, only cats. As for white noise, I’ve never tried it, but it could be useful. I’m certain Alexa will play some white noises for me.

uvdp said...

Do you know, Joe, that there are earplugs to reduce noise? https://www.quies.fr/en/

Capricornus said...

You're sick so often and no one seems to be able to help you. I feel sorry for you, Joe :-(

Joe said...

Capricornus, I’ve always been susceptible to colds, but mainly it’s the migraines and the older I get, the more weather changes trigger them. I really only mention the headaches when they are really bad, but I haven’t had more than a handful of completely headache free day in years. The migraine treatments I take help with the intensity, but rarely make me completely pain free. It’s a chronic condition that I’ve learned to deal with as best I can.