Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Gay Blog: No Way Out

Throughout most of my adult life, I have battled depression in some way. I have learned to deal with it and medication has helped. Bobby, over at My Big Fat Greek Gay Blog, had a post today about depression. It is well worth reading. It certainly shows that you are not alone.

My Big Fat Greek Gay Blog: No Way Out

Many, if not the majority of, gay and lesbian youth face the problems of depression. If you find yourself depressed or feeling like you want to end it all, get in contact with your doctor. He or she can help. Tell a friend, tell a family member, but don't try to go through it alone. There are numerous resources out there. Get help before it is too late. Bobby and I both have, and it will help, I promise.

6 comments:

G said...

you too? :-)
I have bipolar 2 - went undiagnosed through my late childhood/teens until i landed in a psych clinic for 5 months when i was 22..
it's shaped me profoundly... almost as much as the catholic education experience.... *le sigh* :-)
glad we're still around to kick against it
Geoff

Joe said...

I have battled with depression off and on through most of my teens until now. I think it is pretty common for gay men considering what we go through in the coming out process, not to mention the process of hiding who we are and the fears of being unaccepted. Thanks for sharing Geoff.

crotchdiver said...

Alas, I have too. Yet we strive forward. Got ya back Bro.

Joe said...

Crotchdiver, I think most people do at one time or another, but as gay men, I think we are far more prone. We just need to realize when it is time to get help.

nudegayguy said...

I've had depression probably dating back to when I was eight as my father was soooo disapproving but my being gay never came up and while I struggled with my sexuality too my depression's probably based on my upbringing. I was always a loner, not an athlete and couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag plus I was bullied but not because I was gay. I found meds and occasional therapy were the very best thing I could do and I'm a pretty talented therapist these days. Other mention's been made about nudity which I enjoy a great deal.

nudegayguy said...

I've had depression probably dating back to when I was eight as my father was soooo disapproving but my being gay never came up and while I struggled with my sexuality too my depression's probably based on my upbringing. I was always a loner, not an athlete and couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag plus I was bullied but not because I was gay. I found meds and occasional therapy were the very best thing I could do and I'm a pretty talented therapist these days. Other mention's been made about nudity which I enjoy a great deal.