Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Boosted, Part II 💉💉

This Pfizer COVID vaccine booster has kicked my ass for the past two days. I developed a headache that continued to worsen from the time I got the shot. I had hoped all I’d have was a bad headache, but roughly 24 hours after I received my booster shot, I developed body aches, joint pain, fatigue, chills, and a fever. The fever only lasted a few hours, but I was miserable Monday afternoon. The side effects lasted for roughly 24 hours and then began to subside, all except the headache. I still had the headache when I went to bed last night, although it could have had as much to do with the nor’easter over the Northeast as the booster shot.

When I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine, I only had a sore arm. With the second dose, I had pretty bad body aches that lasted roughly 24 hours. This booster was a doozy. I say all of this because I’ve been out of commission and out of work for the past two days. Also, this was my experience and does not represent what most people seem to be experiencing. My friend Susan had no effects at all. Her arm wasn’t even sore. My arm has been sore and there is a dime sized bruise around the injection site (when I received the shot I barely felt it). I was also told by one of my healthcare providers that she had not heard of anyone having an adverse reaction to the booster shot. I only know of one person who’s had a reaction besides me.

If you’re eligible, I’d say to please get your booster. If you have not received a vaccine at all, please do so. We need this pandemic to end, and it will only end if we all get vaccinated.

9 comments:

Butch 57 said...

Hope to feel better today. Got my booster yesterday Moderna Headaches and soreness around the jab area. Well worth the peace of mind and stopping the spread

Anonymous said...

I work in health and am yet to see anyone with the same response to each of the Pfizer shots. I suspect it depends on where the immune system is at that day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, we got our booster shot an hour or so ago. It was Moderna. So far the only reaction - for me - is a little soreness on the site and nothing more. I am sorry that the reaction for you was so bad. Roderick

naturgesetz said...

Joe, this isn't about boosters. This is thething I heard about for sleep apnea. You might want to discuss it with your docs.

https://www.inspiresleep.com

Joe said...

Thanks, naturgesetz. I had an appointment with the Sleep Clinic on Tuesday, and we discussed this. Originally, my sleep apnea was too severe, but I’ve lost a lot of weight, and therefore my sleep apnea may have improved. I will have another sleep study done, but this time at the clinic. If it has improved enough for them to move forward with me as a candidate for the Inspire implant, then, I will have an appointment with another doctor for further evaluation. If I’m able to get past those two hurdles, then I can have the surgery for the Inspire implant. My next sleep study is scheduled for Dec 8, but I’m also on a waitlist for any appointment that comes open due to cancellation. I’ll keep everyone informed about the progress.

Dillon said...

I decided to take my mother's advice (she is a nurse practitioner and I do trust her opinion) and take the Pfizer booster instead of cross-vaccinating like I had considered after reading some studies suggesting there may be benefits. She is concerned with the very rare but still present risk of heart inflammation in males under the age of 30 with the Moderna.

So, I will be getting my Pfizer booster tomorrow after class. Hopefully, it will be painless. Mama said she has not heard of any side effects with the booster (although the side effects remain the same as the first two shots), but she still has very few patients who have taken the booster. She suggested I start rotating Tylenol and Ifuprofen tonight and make sure that I am plenty hydrated tomorrow before the shot. I will take Mama's advice THIS TIME. 😂

Joe said...

Dillon, I hope that you don’t have a reaction. By the way, for the fever, I took some Advil II, which is a combination of Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I find it’s pretty effective.

Joe said...

Roderick, thankfully all of the symptoms have now subsided and I’m feeling pretty good. Hopefully, all you’ll have to deal with is the slight soreness in your arm.

Butch57, even with my side effects, it is well worth it for the peace of mind.

Anonymous, I think you’re right. It all depends on where the immune system is at that day.

taurusd2 said...

Joe...After two Pfizer shots and difficult reaction to the second one, I have now had my booster shot by Pfizer. The only side-effect was a sore arm and a slight headache which disappeared in a day. I too have very bad migraine headaches, quite serious ones that radiate all down the left side of my body and last for days. I do hope your symptoms subside soon Perhaps you might consult your physician?