Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Summer Morn in New Hampshire

Summer Morn in New Hampshire

By Claude McKay

 

All yesterday it poured, and all night long

    I could not sleep; the rain unceasing beat

Upon the shingled roof like a weird song,

    Upon the grass like running children’s feet.

And down the mountains by the dark cloud kissed,

    Like a strange shape in filmy veiling dressed,

Slid slowly, silently, the wraith-like mist,

    And nestled soft against the earth’s wet breast.

But lo, there was a miracle at dawn!

    The still air stirred at touch of the faint breeze,

The sun a sheet of gold bequeathed the lawn,

    The songsters twittered in the rustling trees.

And all things were transfigured in the day,

    But me whom radiant beauty could not move;

For you, more wonderful, were far away,

    And I was blind with hunger for your love.

 

If you have seen the news, you probably know that there has been a lot of flooding in Northern New York and Vermont. In most of the towns around me, there has been some flooding as the local rivers have overrun their banks. Thankfully, I live on high ground, so I am not in any danger, though what the roads will look like on my way to work this morning is anyone’s guess. I will watch the morning news hoping I will hear more about road conditions.

 

I picked the above poem because the rain began Sunday afternoon and is supposed to continue through the early hours of this morning. Hopefully, it will have stopped by the time I leave for work. It poured all day yesterday.

 

About the Poet

 

Claude McKay, who was born in Jamaica in 1889, wrote about social and political concerns from his perspective as a Black man in the United States, as well as a variety of subjects ranging from his Jamaican homeland to romantic love.

4 comments:

JiEL said...

Hope you're not concern about the flooding in Vermont.

Joe said...

JiEL, we lost power throughout the night last night, and all roads around me have closures, so I’m stuck at home, which is fine with me as I still have a migraine and did not sleep well last night. Otherwise, I’m good; however, large parts of Vermont are not. Several of the major towns along the rivers are flooded. It looks really bad for them.

JiEL said...

I have no such issues here in Montreal but in Sherbrooke and east of Québec city there are some alerts for flooding.
On the road from Québec city to Chicoutimi across the national park, there is a power shortage because of a land slide cutting a power line.
What makes me smile is that those who own an electric car are scrweded because at the half of the park, the recharge stations are OFF...

Another reason for me not to like those electric cars..
At the least, I could buy a hybrid one both for now, my car is just good for me even if it's a Kia Optima 2014 but it has only 51 000 km.. Almost a new one.. LOL!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!!
How can you be so handsome?
I have no choice but to fall in love with this man!!!

Ángel